Florida is home to many beautiful and historic buildings, some of which are located in Apopka FL. Located in Orange County, this city is sometimes referred to as the world’s “indoor foliage capital,” due to its thriving foliage business. Some of Apopka’s historic buildings have been placed on the National Register of Historic Places. To be put on the Register, buildings and structures have to be determined to be worth preserving.
The Carroll Building, located in Apopka, is one of the buildings on this list. Located on South Park Avenue, it has been on the Register since 1993. The building originally served as a hospital. At one point in time, the Carroll Building had been utilized as the Apopka Historical Society Museum. When the museum relocated to a different building on East Fifth Street, the Carroll Building became a district office for the District 38 State Representative, Bryan Nelson.
The Apopka Seaboard Air Line Railway Depot is another historic structure listed on the Register. Also added in 1993, the depot was built in 1918. It replaced the original structure, which was destroyed by a tornado. It served as a train station, mostly for passenger service, until the 1960s. It then served as a warehouse storage facility for a while, until it was purchased by a private owner.
The Mitchell-Tibbetts House is another historic Apopka structure on the Register. Added in 1991, this building is sometimes referred to as the Miner House. This building was originally the home of R.N. Mitchell, who was a pioneer in the Apopka area. The house was later owned by George W. Tibbetts, who was a General in the Union Army.
The Waite-Davis House was added to the Register in 1990. This building is also known as the Leslie P. Waite House. The property was formerly owned by a retired merchant by the name of Edward Waite. However, after Edward’s death, his widow became remarried to Frank Davis. Frank was a real estate developer who was a pioneer in the Apopka area. Ted Waite, who was the son of Edward Waite and his wife, eventually inherited the house. Ted Waite was the mayor of Apopka during the 1941 – 1946 timeframe.